Tuesday, March 23, 2010

A day at the market

This past weekend was the first in over a month that I have actually been in London and I have to say it was glorious. On Friday, I with two of my friends ventured off to Borough Market. The best way to describe Borough is an open air, huge Whole Foods, which means it is awesome! Once in the market everywhere you look is row after row of delicious food. And what makes matters better is that nearly every stand offers free samples. Now I must admit I have always been a little hesitant about taking free samples when I know I am not going to buy anything, thankfully my friend Kelly who I went to the market with has no such qualms. What this meant for me was that I could mooch off her bold nature and become stuffed off free food.

Following our trip to Borough Market on Friday afternoon, Andrew and I decided why not have a weekend full of markets. So off Andrew, Sean and I went Saturday morning to Portobello Road Market. We arrived at the market not entirely sure what to expect, but all we knew was that if Portobello was half as good as Borough then we would have a great time. But as we began roaming around Portobello we became a little weary if this market was all it was hyped up to be. We simply saw rows and rows of crap. It appeared to be one big garage sale. But then we saw the light at the end of the tunnel and reached the food section of the market. This part made wading through loads of junk well worth it because we got some genuine, delicious burritos. After the food section was the antique and clothing parts of the market. Now I am not normally one to enjoy antiques and shopping for clothes but this part of the markets was quite enjoyable, mainly because Andrew and I were able to find some pretty cool vintage band t-shirts.

Once we reached the flats Saturday afternoon after a great day at Portobello, we decided why not try out another one of London's great markets on Sunday. So on Sunday morning we ventured off to Brick Lane, Petticoat Lane, and accidentally to Spitalfield Market. Brick Lane was excellent. It was a mix of Borough and Portobello. We were able to find some excellent food for lunch and the girls we went with had a great time looking at all the cheap dresses. Petticoat Lane was very anti-climatic. It was literally a street full of crappy clothing. So a little bummed we decided to roam around and randomly ran into Spitalfield. This was a great treat. Spitafield much like Borough but smaller reminded me of an open air organic food store.

No comments:

Post a Comment