Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Don't Call me Irish

As I am sure all my readers are aware last Wednesday was St. Patrick's Day. Seeing as I am a student at a university thats mascot is the FIGHTING IRISH, I can assure you that every student in the program was in full celebratory form on the 17th. Now I realize I am studying in England and not Ireland, but come on the countries are separated by one small little channel! In reality more than just a channel separates these two countries. As my friends and I walked to class (a 30 minute walk) decked out in our St. Paddy's day green, we in best spirits said "Happy St. Patrick's Day" to nearly every Brit we walked by. Over the entire walk, I think about 5 people recognized that we existed. I was able to shrug such reactions off by rationalizing that we were in a metropolitan city and maybe people were so excited about getting to work that they unintentionally ignored our remarks. However, after hearing what my professor said upon entering the classroom Wednesday morning, I was no longer able to rationalize that the Brits cared about this glorious holiday. Our professor walks in, takes a look around and says, "Why is everyone wearing green?" ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?! The man only teaches at Notre Dame! After this remark, I quickly realized that professors in London were not going to be as jovial on St. Patty's as professors at ND.
Despite my professor's Scrooge-like remarks, we did not despair and sought out an authentic Irish Pub so that we could celebrate with our fellow Catholics by drinking none other than Irish's best: Guinness.

No comments:

Post a Comment