Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Marta is Smarta

As I spend more time in London I am beginning to learn more about myself. As you already know if you've been keeping up with my blog, I learned I am a terrible cook. This Sunday I learned another thing about myself: I cannot read public transportation maps! A group of my friends and I decided to visit one of London's finer social establishment this Sunday and the trip required we take the Tube to get there. Well if any of you have seen a Tube map, there is alot going on. Red lines crossed with yellow lines intertwined with black lines! Needless to say my group got lost and what makes matters worse is that the Tube charges you for how far you go (don't get me started on how I find this unfair). After around an hour of riding the Tube, we finally reached our destination but alas you needed to prebook tickets for this club. So here we are 10 Notre Dame kids who have ridden public transportation for over an hour told we cannot get in. While my readers might think this put a damper on our day, I say to you yea of little faith. 10 Notre Dame kids don't let a rude bouncer put them in a bad mood. We simply walked across the street to one of London's other finer social establishment and gave them the pleasure of our patronage. After a time at the Windsor Castle Pub, we made our way back to the flats and now have hilarious stories of our adventures on the Tube and people's lovely reactions to us lost on the Tube.

Now for my Atlanta readers this experience gave me a new found appreciation for Marta. Now, I know Marta gets a bad rap (and I know you hate it Ashley), but seriously Marta is great! You pay one flat rate and can ride that baby all day. And the routes are extremely easy to read. Get on, get off and boom you're in Atlanta. Not exactly how London works. Here it is more like get on, get lost and boom you're out around $15.




No comments:

Post a Comment